After School Program
The Community and Family Services After School Program seeks to provide children and youth the opportunity to enhance their physical and emotional wellbeing in a safe, fun, nurturing environment by facilitating a quality after school program in the Patrick Street area.
The Salvation Army Community and Family Services After School Program will support and contribute to the following long – term outcomes:
- A decrease in childhood obesity
- Healthy eating by contributing to an increase in fruit and vegetable consumption
- Increasing physical activity in children and youth
- Improved learning outcomes and student achievement
- A reduced rate of youth violence
- A reduction in childhood poverty
It is the goal of the After School Program to provide fun, interactive, enrichment activities after the school day to improve the overall health and well-being of children through:
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY- to facilitate organized sports and indoor/outdoor large group activities
- NUTRITION- to promote healthy food choices through cooking courses and menu planning and healthy snacks/meals
- POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS – to provide opportunities for children and youth to develop relationships through mentoring and community outreach projects
- EMPOWERMENT – to create a “space” where self-esteem, recognition and appreciation for self, others and the environment can be learned and practiced through citizenship building and leadership development
We are open every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
The After School Program follows the school year calendar. We operate from September to June of each year. The After School Program is closed on PA days and statutory holidays. The After School Program may open on PA days depending on available outside funding.
|2015-2016 School Holidays & Professional Activity Days (Elementary and Secondary)|
There is no school on any of the dates below.
|PA Day||Thursday, September 3, 2015|
|Board Holiday||Friday, September 4, 2015|
|PA Day||Friday, September 25, 2015|
|Thanksgiving Day||Monday, October 12, 2015|
|PA Day||Friday, November 13, 2015|
|December Break||Monday, December 21, 2015 - Friday, January 1, 2016 (inclusive)|
|PA Day||Thursday, February 4, 2016|
|Family Day||Monday, February 15, 2016|
|Mid-Winter Break||Monday, March 14 to Friday - March 18, 2016 (inclusive)|
|Good Friday||Friday, March 25, 2016|
|Easter Monday||Monday, March 28, 2016|
|PA Day||Friday, May 20, 2016|
|Victoria Day||Monday, May 23, 2016|
|PA Day||Thursday, June 30, 2016|
The After School Program seeks to operate on most days. In the event of a severe snow, freezing rain storm or any other extreme weather – the After School Program will close for the day. The After School coordinator will attempt to inform families by telephone that the program is closed. A sign will also be posted on the door announcing the closure. If schools/buses are cancelled due to inclement weather the After School Program will close. If a storm begins while the program is in process and it is deemed necessary to close the program early the following steps will be taken:
- We will call home to ensure that a parent/guardian is home and waiting for their child.
- If a parent is unavailable the program staff will remain with the child until closing time.
- We will ask parents who regularly pick up their children to come early.